With rice as your base, your flavor builds are endless! In this recipe, crispy bacon, earthy mushrooms and pumpkin adds a savory twist to your traditional grain. Serve as a side dish or add some protein for a filling grain bowl. Enjoy with a glass of Ribera Tempranillo bit a bit of aging to complement the savory complexity and umami of this dish. We think this is a great dish for entertaining. Top the leftovers with a fried egg for a great brunch the next day!
Recipe adapted from Spanish Recipes by Nuria
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes
4 slices bacon, sliced in 1-inch wide pieces
2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove, finely minced
2 cups pumpkin cubes, about 10 ounces
4 ounces seasonal mushrooms, sliced, about 1 ½ cups sliced
2 ½ cups chicken broth
1 garlic clove, minced
¾ tsp. kosher salt
1 ½ cups long grain white rice
2 tablespoons of minced parsley or cilantro (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook bacon until crisp; transfer to a paper-towel lined dish and reserve. Don’t clean out the pan.
- Add 1 Tbs. oil to same skillet with bacon fat and cook onion, garlic and pumpkin until pumpkin is tender, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally; transfer to a plate and reserve.
- Add 1 Tbs. oil to same skillet and cook mushrooms until tender, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally; transfer to a plate and reserve.
- Add broth and deglaze the skillet, stirring up all the browned bits. Add salt and rice and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until rice is tender and broth is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Once the rice is ready, stir in the bacon, pumpkin and mushroom mixtures.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for a couple minutes until heated through.
- Transfer to a large platter for serving, garnished with parsley or cilantro.