Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Marinating Time: Overnight
Serving lamb, especially when prepared on the grill, is the epitome of Spanish hospitality. This summer take your backyard grilling up several notches with these lamb skewers! A savory marinade adds layers of flavor and allows your meat and veggies to cook to perfection. Add a few skewers to a summer salad, enjoy as a main entrée or pass bites at your next gathering. For the ultimate taste bud experience, pour a glass of Ribera del Duero—its dark fruit and smoky flavors will complement the marinade’s warm spices.
1 cup red wine
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup water
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1 Tbs. cumin seeds
1 Tbs. ground sweet paprika
1 tsp. ground smoked paprika
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 ¼ lbs. lamb loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 bell peppers, seeded and cut in 1-inch pieces
1 small onion, cut in 1-inch pieces
- In large bowl combine wine, olive oil, water, garlic, bay leaf, cumin seeds, smoked & sweet paprika, oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Stir until blended.
- Add lamb cubes, cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator overnight. The longer the meat marinates, the more tender it will be.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water at least 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat grill for direct heat grilling.
- Alternately skewer lamb cubes, bell peppers and onions. Brush with marinating liquid before grilling. Discard any remaining marinating liquid.
- Grill skewers, turning several times, until lamb is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season with additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Spanish Recipes by Nuria.