Hello bite-sized pillows of delight! Crispy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside, these Chicken Croquettes will be your new go-to appetizer or side dish for all gatherings. For the true Spanish experience, pour yourself a glass of a younger, fruit-forward Ribera Tempranillo, that is easy on the oak. You could also serve with a crisp Rueda, the acid will help balance the to complement the spices and savory crunch of the croquettes. Sip, bite, sip and repeat!
We should add that croquetas are probably one of the best known traditional Spanish dishes. Grandmas, neighbors and local tapas counters all vie for bragging rights throughout Spain and competition is fierce. From mushroom and cheese to squid ink to jamon, there are as many different styles of croquetas as there are palates to please. But one thing we know is this most beloved of Spanish comfort foods come together easily, and are easy to customize for a variety of tastes or vegetarians. Just swap in your favorite ingredients. We love the touch of turmeric in Nuria’s version below.
Recipe adapted from Spanish Recipes by Nuria
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Chill Time: 30 minutes
Makes 21 croquettes
4 Tbs. olive oil + additional oil for frying
1 small onion, finely chopped, ½ cup
1 ¼ cup + 1/3 cup wheat flour, divided
2 cups milk
1 (12 ounces) chicken breast, boiled and finely shredded, abut 1 ¼ cups shredded
¾ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground turmeric
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Heat 4 Tbs. olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 ¼ cups flour and stir until well combined and heated through.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Simmer until a sauce forms, stirring constantly.
- Add shredded chicken, cheese, kosher salt, turmeric and nutmeg and cook until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Spread mixture in a shallow baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cooled, about 30 minutes.
- Shape chicken mixture into 21 croquettes; wet hands with water if mixture sticks to hands.
- Place remaining 1/3 cup flour in a dish. Place beaten eggs in another dish. Place breadcrumbs in a third dish.
- Dip each croquette in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs to coat.
- Add enough oil to cover bottom of a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Fry croquettes in batches until golden, adding and heating additional oil as necessary.
- Transfer croquettes to paper towels to drain off any excess oil. Enjoy hot or room temperature.